Most of the fun of this project is the details. I finished the belts and buttonholes recently.
I had the buttonholes professionally made at Jonathan Embroidery in NYC. They look lovely, but it was a bit of a learning experience. I now realize that I should have been more specific about the right and wrong side for the buttonholes. The front buttonholes are all set so the right side is on the outside of the jacket, so the lapel buttonholes are actually wrong-side out. Also, I missed one buttonhole while I was there, so I wound up having to make one on my home machine.
I also had eyelets set on the belt pieces at Steinlauf and Stoller.
However, the home machine buttonhole gave me the chance to use my new gimp! I was placing an order with Wawek because I needed serger cones, and I saw that they sell gimp! I was so excited to see it there that I bought it in 2 colors, even though it was strangely expensive ($9). I figured, if they are amazing enough to sell gimp, I should encourage them my buying it.
Then it arrived and the spools are enormous! Like, several lifetimes worth of gimp, esp since I intended to only use it in hand buttonholes. Then I thought a bit, and realized that I could probably fill my machine buttonholes with gimp. And it worked! I’m so excited, and will use this method from now on, and maybe use up some of my huge supply of gimp.