This dress reminds me very much of something Elizabeth would make. She is a deft hand with the knit print. It is also the second dress in a row I’ve made with a 1940’s reference. I think my previous dress actually looks more 1940’s, but this one was made with a Vintage Vogue reprint pattern. Initially, I was planning on making a DVF-style wrap dress, but then I was looking through my patterns, found this one, and knew I had my project.
The pattern is designed for a woven, so I took it in a bit to accommodate the knit. Also, the knit was a bit thin, and I am always cold, so I underlined it with some wicking knit that I’ve had lying about for a dog’s age.
This dress was rather arduous to cut out. First, it is cut in a single layer, which had me wishing for a larger cutting table. Then, I had to baste and cut the underlining pieces. I’m glad the construction was quick, so it was pretty much done by the time it was cut out.
I bought the fabric at Elliot Berman Textiles during the Pattern Review party. I love that store, but I normally don’t get a chance to shop there because it is not open on weekends. The party was a total blast. If you are in the area, you need to get on Deepika’s mailing list so you get invited to the next one. You can read about it here, here, here, here, or here. It’s all true. It was not really a shopping event, but I could not stop myself.
Anyway, I think my new dress will be good to wear to my holiday parties this year.