Here is the result of all of my waterproofing experiments! It’s a trench coat made from waxed silk taffeta. I’ve been wearing it in light rain for 2 days now, and it seems waterproof. I have not yet tried it in a downpour, though, so I’m not sure how it would behave in extreme conditions.
As you can see, the wax is rather uneven. I blotted up some of the excess wax by ironing it with brown paper between the jacket and the iron to absorb the wax, but it is still blotchy. I think I can live with it, though. In fact, the blotchiness is kind of growing on me.
The fabric kind of has the consistency of a Hefty bag, but in a good way. If you can imagine that.
The pattern is from Ryuichiro Shimazaki’s coatmaking book. It is probably called something like “Book of Mens Coats”. I can’t tell exactly what it’s called because I can’t read Japanese.
I left the jacket unlined. Originally, I was planning on lining it, so I used whatever fabric I had lying about for the pocket bags. They would be covered with the lining anyway, don cha know. Then I changed my mind about lining. The fabric is so lightweight that it would make an acceptable summer raincoat, but a lining would make it harder to wear in hot weather. So I spent an hour replacing the pocket bags with self fabric. Yes, I am a lunatic with far too much free time.
I added a button-on hood that was not called for in the original pattern. This way, it will keep me dry even in situations when I can’t carry an umbrella, like when I’m riding a bike.
For some info on my waxing process, please look at this post.