Here we will discuss the jacket portion of our entertainment. I made it with a lovely plaid cashmere, trimmed in silk duchesse satin and lined in silk charmeuse. I’m hoping it turns into my go-to cardigan this winter.
The pattern is a tried-and-true pattern that started out as a commercial pattern, but I have made so many adjustments to it that I should probably just say that I drafted it myself. The thing I like most about it is that it is only 3 pieces (no facings or collars, darted sleeve), so I could cut it out of slightly more than 1 yard of 60″ fabric. Kind of. I actually had so little of this fabric that I ended up having to cut on the cross grain. This cashmere has some give on the straight of grain, so I think it should be OK. I bought the fabric as a remnant, thinking I could make a vest, but I’m so happy that I got a whole cardigan out of it.
The trim is cut from a scrap of duchesse satin that I had lying about. I love duchesse satin for trims because it’s really moldable. With some water and an iron, it can assume seemingly any shape. All of the bindings are straight bias-cut pieces, and they hug the curves really nicely, especially around the neckline. Unfortunately, it is an expensive fabric and it falls apart in the washing machine, so you need to be a bit careful where you use it.
At this point, it has no closures. In the photo above, I pinned it closed. I am planning on adding large snaps, but I did not have any lying about. The next time I get to go to the city, I will buy some and sew them on. For now, I wanted to get the blog post out of the way before I lose enthusiasm for discussing this jacket.