The spring weather here lately lit a fire under my butt to make this orange print top. I have been wanting a pullover top with a shirttail hem for a while now, and orange is just everywhere I look. It’s the color of the year, don’tchaknow? A month or so ago, I bought some orange eyeliner that’s in heavy rotation, but I’m thinking I need more orange in my life.
The fabric is from fabric mart from a while back. I originally bought it for lining, but I had just enough left for this top. Many others have used this fabric, including Carolyn, Elizabeth, and the costumer for the latest Muppet Movie, where it features in the final scene.
I only had the idea for this top when I was picking up the kids from school yesterday, so when I got home, I quickly sedated them so I could look through my Burdastyle collection to find a pattern with cut-on sleeves that could accommodate a shirttail hem. I found a good pattern in Burdastyle 8/01. It might be for knits, but my copy of this particular magazine is in Russian, so I can’t really tell. I wanted it roomy, so I cut it a couple of sizes too big. The pattern is long sleeved, so I chopped the sleeves off. The pattern also calls for a side zipper, but I pinned it together and tried it on, and when I saw that I could get it over my head, I omitted the zip. I lined the front in self fabric, but did not have enough to also line the back, so the back has a contrast silk charmeuse lining. It is taking me longer to write this post than to make the top.
Anyway, I finished it last night and I’m wearing it today and I like it. I also made the skirt a couple-three years ago.