It seems that I’m doing a lot of ruffles this summer. This dress is a knockoff of one that I saw at Topshop a while back. It was such a cool dress that I almost bought it, but it was so poorly made that I knew I would never wear it. The Topshop dress only had ruffles on the front, and the back was plain. Eeew. So I found similar fabric online and made my own. It will be a good dress to knock around in this summer.
Another reason for this project was to get me re-acquainted with my serger, which also just came out of storage. This was actually not the easiest fabric to work with. If you stretch it the wrong way, it can run like pantyhose do. I bought the fabric from MarcyTilton.com.
I lined the dress with Power Dry in a tan color. The ruffled fabric is rather sheer, so I wanted an opaque layer underneath. My life would probably be easier if I became the kind of person who wears a slip. Then I would not have to line everything.
I used KwikSew 3652. KwikSew has great patterns for knits. The pattern has a CB seam, which makes the dress more shapely, but I took out that seam because I wanted as few seams as possible with this fabric.
This was a great quick project and now I have a nice everyday dress for summer.
There were a couple of questions about the lampshade skirt. I finished the one seam with a Hong Kong finish in the same silk organza that I used for the hem. I draped the fabric on my form to come up with the pattern. Honestly, I think it would have been just as well to cut a rectangle and sew the seam in it. If I had all of my sewing doodads here, I would have probably put in an elastic waist instead of a zipper. It would look just as nice with elastic. I think it would look nice in a longer length, as well, but if it were longer it should be a tad less full so it would look more proportional.