This project is based on the pattern Vogue 8577. It has a great full skirt, and I love the midriff piece. I made some fairly substantial changes. I changed the front to a surplice neckline; added a collar that extends past the waist onto the skirt; added a side zipper; rotated the back darts into pleats that feed into the yoke; and changed the armhole and sleeve to rotate to the front a bit more. Those are all the changed I recall making.
The idea for the collar came from the above dress from Donna Karan. I love how the collar extends past the waist and becomes part of the skirt. I also really like the clear nylon belt that this dress is shown with. I am going to look for one of those.
The fabric is a 4-ply silk crepe that I got for an unbelievable price because it was a really bad neon yellow color. I tried to dye it grey, and got this silvery green color that will henceforth be known as Elvin Silver. The suggestion for the word elvin came from Elizabeth, who, I suspect, plays far too much scrabble. But back to the fabric. At first, I did not like the color and was considering re-dyeing, but it has grown on me. I used Procion dyes from Dharma. Somewhere buried in the procion dye instructions is the warning that red dyes do not paste up easily. They recommend that when using red or any compound color containing red (like grey), you take your pasted up color and force it through some tightly woven silk to remove any red bits that did not past up properly. Of course, I am way to cool to bother with that. And now I have myriad tiny specks of red on my dress.