This shirt is a Father’s Day present for my husband. It turned out completely wearable and not at all strange, which is somewhat miraculous considering that I had far too little fabric and had to match plaids. The fabric was a remnant of linen plaid. It has a great hand: lightweight yet with a lot of body. The woven plaid pattern is extremely complicated, which I like in theory but made it difficult to cut the pieces.
I used the Collette Negroni pattern. The pattern calls for 2 pockets, but there was simply no way that was happening with the amount of fabric I had. To get the one pocket, I had to cut it a smidge smaller and face it with contrast fabric.
To save fabric, I used a contrast solid linen wherever I could. The front facings; undercollar; yoke facing; pocket flap and pocket facings; sleeve facings; and a strip of fabric on the sleeves at the back underarm are all in contrast fabric. I think the contrast fabric actually makes it look more luxe, which is paradoxical since it was an economizing measure.
Anyway, I hope my husband likes it. He needs a button-front shirt that is not a work shirt, and now he has one. After my fabulous Mother’s Day, he probably deserves something better than this, but, well, this is what he’s getting.