A sun hat has been on my list of things to make for who-knows-how-many years, and since I have recently come to the conclusion that I have far too many regular clothes, I figured it was high time I make one. I finished it earlier today, and frankly it did not thrill me, but when I saw the photos, I changed my mind about it. It somehow did not occur to me that the color of the inside brim is so important. It frames my whole face, and, well, I did not pick the most flattering color. But really, the photos look kind of nice, so maybe I can wear it anyway.
I used the same white linen that I made my recent white suit from, with some leftover ticking for the inside brim and embellishment, grosgrain for the embellishment, and a silk taffeta flower that I made many years ago in an ebellishment class. Oh, and I lined it with some striped shirting. Wow, that’s a lot of elements.
4 yo dd took these pictures of me. She was remarkably patient, especially because I kept making her take more after I looked at the screen.
This is the pattern. I’m sure it’s OOP, but you could find another that would do just as well. One thing to watch out for is that the seam allowances are 1/4″. I made a hat several years ago with this pattern that came out too small because I did not realize that.